When most of us think about physical activity and fitness, unhealthy we imagine working out in the gym on a treadmill or lifting weights.
But for kids, mind exercise means playing and being physically active. Kids incorporate fitness and physical activity simply when they have gym class at school, during recess, at dance class or soccer practice, while riding bikes, or when playing tag.
The Many Benefits of Exercise
Everyone can benefit from regular exercise. Kids who are active will:
- have stronger muscles and bones
- have a leaner body because exercise helps control body fat
- be less likely to become overweight
- decrease the risk of developing type 2 diabetes
- possibly lower blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels
- have a better outlook on life
Besides enjoying the health benefits of regular exercise, kids who are physically fit sleep better and are better able to handle physical and emotional challenges — from running to catch a bus to studying for a test.
Assignment #1 – Glencoe Online Read
- Glencoe Online Text Read pages 316-323
- Write or Type out Lesson 1 Assessment on page 323 #1-7 (answer in complete sentences)
- As you read, Glencoe Online Text pages 324-330, fill out the Areas of Fitness Chart (pdf)